What Can Dogs Not Eat?

Food is considered an international language to show love and care to our dogs.

Sometimes we find ourselves sharing our food with our dogs.

But some foods that are considered edible to human beings are dangerous and fatal to dogs.

German shepherd dogs

No matter how your dog begs, there are foods that you should never fork over to your dog.

They are toxic in their body due to different metabolism in the dog’s digestive system.

Read on this blog to understand the kind of foods dogs should not eat.

Salt

Salt, whether it is poured directly into your foodstuffs, can it be on your potato chips, popcorns, or any other snack, never share such kind of food with too much salt with your dog.

salt

It can lead to poisoning your dog. Sodium ions in the salt are dangerous and can damage the dog’s kidneys.

There are some visible signs that owners should identify in case your dog has fed on excess salt, that is, excessive thirst, vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive urination.

Garlic

Dogs should not feed on garlic since it causes damage to their red blood cells and cause anemia to dogs.

garlic

In most severe cases, it may lead to blood transfusion.

A small dose might not cause any harm, but regular consumption of a small dose of garlic can cause much harm and poisoning.

See also  Kidney Failure Symptoms in Dogs

The symptoms of garlic and onions are breathlessness, vomiting, body weakness, and loss of appetite in dogs.

Grapes and raisins

Grapes and raisins are considered awful for dogs.

Grapes

They are dangerous when consumed in large quantities.

Grapes can lead to kidney failure despite the quantity consumed by your dogs.

Dog owners are advised to keep the raisins and grapes away from the sight of dogs.

In case your dog comes across grapes or raisins, call for assistance from a professional dog vet.

It is crucial to note that a dog’s consumption of grapes and raisins is poisoning and can sicken your dog.

Spoiled foods

Spoiled food contains toxins like bacteria and molds, which are harmful to your dog when consumed.

Spoiled foods

Molds contain toxins that can cause severe muscle tremors.

Dog owners are advised to be sure they throw rotten and old foods in the closed garbage bin or somewhere your dog cannot reach them.

Alcohol

Just like humans, dogs get buzzed from foods or drinks containing alcohol.

Alcohol

Its effect affects the nervous system of the dog, and the effect is seen especially in the small dog’s breeds.

It can lead to death or coma in dogs.

Dog owners are recommended not to offer alcoholic beverages because it can lead to poisoning.

The symptom starts to show up exactly after an hour of consumption.

Symptoms include poor breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, low body temperature, and lack of muscle coordination.

Such alcohol products are paints, perfumes, mouthwash, and varnish.

Dog owners should keep far away from dogs.

See also  4 Effective Remedies for Dog’s Upset Stomach

Chocolate, coffee, and caffeine

These substances contain methylxanthines which can be toxic and dangerous when consumed by your dog.

Chocolates

According to specialists, when the methylxanthines are ingested into dogs it can result in diarrhea, vomiting, excessive urination, and thirst and panting.

Dog owners should understand that an average cup of coffee or tea contains a range of 40 to 150 mg of caffeine, which is a deadly threat to dogs when consumed.

Caffeine is believed to contain stimulant quality that can make your dog’s heart rate increase rapidly.

It could lead to high blood pressure and can even lead to seizures and maybe death.

Avocados

It contains toxins called persin, which are safe for human consumption but are very poisonous to dogs.

The persin toxins are found on most plants which dog owners should avoid their dogs feeding on any part of the plant.

When consumed, it leads to the accumulation of toxins in your pet’s chest and lungs.

Normally, this condition causes difficulty in breathing, leading to an amount of oxygen deprivation and even death.

Persin fluids also accumulate in the heart, abdomen, and pancreas, resulting in fatal complications in the dog’s health.

Xylitol

It is a sugar alcohol used in sweetening candy, chewing gum, baked goods, and toothpaste.

Xylitol

It is said that xylitol consumption is safe for humans but can be poisonous to dogs.

Feeding staff foods containing xylitol can be dangerous, leading to dropping blood sugar in dogs.

After consumption, the symptoms can be seen within 30 minutes. Such as coma, seizures, difficulty in moving, depression, vomiting, and body weakness.

See also  Diabetes in Dogs | Symptoms & Treatment

After some time, xylitol can lead to liver damage or failure and agonizing death in dogs.

Raw Yeast Dough

Dog owners are advised to be baking bread or making any other foods that use raw yeast like homemade soft pretzels and bread.

Raw yeast dough

If your dog consumes yeast in the dough can be deadly to him and can expand in your dog’s stomach resulting in severe pain, gases, and bloating.

Bloats can cause a twist in a dog’s stomach. It could result in an immediate medical emergency from a professional dog vet.

Dog Owners Should Know What Food Dogs Cannot Eat

In case of food poisoning, dog owners should know all the list of bad food that cannot be consumed by dogs.

In case you suspect that your dog has ingested harmful substances, you should immediately call for assistance from a professional vet.

The best way to avoid food poisoning in your dog is to make sure your dog stays away from human foods.

The practice of avoiding feeding your dog with human meals helps as it teaches them manners.